Several school districts have already announced closings or early releases Wednesday due to another powerful blizzard expected to impact northern parts of the News5 viewing area.
First Alert 5 Meteorologist Sam Schreier said this storm will be colder than the bomb cyclone blizzard we experienced several weeks ago, creating life-threatening conditions for anyone who is stranded in the storm.
Major road closures are possible later this afternoon as zero-visibility conditions are possible north of Woodmen Road in Colorado Springs and on the eastern plains.
CSPD is on accident alert status as of 12:45 p.m.
For the latest, up-to-date information happening all across southern Colorado, follow our live blog here.
We will post all closures and delays in the running list below:
- Academy District 20- Releasing one hour early. Student(s) will be released one hour earlier than the school’s normal release time.
- Big Sandy SD- Early dismissal at 12:30, no p.m. preschool or after school activities
- Calhan RJ1- Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled, No PM preschool. School will release at 1 pm on Wednesday, April 10th.
- Colorado Springs School District 11- All after school, evening activities and events canceled. Board of Education meeting is canceled
- Cripple Creek-Victor- Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled. Due to impending weather conditions, all District students will be released early today. Busses will depart at 11:00am, and parents may pick up students any time before 11:00am.
- Elbert School District #200- Will close at 1:06 p.m.
- Elizabeth School District – Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled, No PM preschool. Closing at noon tomorrow
- Ellicott 22- Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled. Buses are normal. CDC parents, please contact schools with details of drop off.
- Fountain-Ft. Carson Dist. 8- Evening activities canceled
- Hanover 28 – Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled, No PM preschool. Regular school start time, however all students will be dismissed at 1:45 p.m.
- Lewis-Palmer Dist. 38 – Closed
- Manitou Springs SD 14- Evening activities canceled
- Peyton 23JT- Early release today. Elementary release at 12:45, Middle/High release at 1:05
Private & Charter Schools:
- Colorado Springs Charter Academy- All after school activities will be canceled. Please pick up your student promptly at 3:15 as we will close at 3:30
- Colorado Springs Christian Schools – Half-day Schedule for All Campuses
- Colorado Springs Conservatory- Closed
- Corpus Christi Catholic School- No AfterCare or After School Activities
- Evangelical Christian Acad. – Elementary and Secondary campuses will dismiss at 11:30. No afternoon or evening activities
- Family of Christ- Entire CDC will Close at 2 PM
- James Irwin Charter Schools: Schools will follow the Friday release schedule except that the Middle School will release at 11:40 as previously planned
- Monument Academy Charter School – Closed
- Primrose School of Briargate- Closing at 3pm today
- Primrose School of Springs Ranch- Closing at 4:00pm
- Roosevelt Charter Academy: Closed
- St. Mary’s High School- All after school activities, including games and practices, are canceled for today.
- The University School- Closed due to police standoff. Story link: https://bit.ly/2VA8SOn
- The Vanguard School- Evening activities canceled. All after-school events, practices, and games have been canceled today (4/10/2019) due to the weather.
- Thomas MacLaren School- All scheduled afternoon games and practices are canceled for today. The school building will be closed at 2:30 p.m.
Colleges & Universities:
- Colorado State Univ.- Pueblo- CSU-Pueblo at Colorado Springs Tower & Ft. Carson closing at 1 p.m. today
- Colorado Technical University- Afternoon and evening activities canceled. Colorado Tech Univ is closed at 1pm. No afternoon or evening classes today.
- IntelliTec College- CS Campus- All classes for tonight are canceled. Employees need not report
- Pikes Peak Community College- All campuses will close at 1 p.m. Afternoon and evening classes are canceled. Classes scheduled to be in progress at 12:30 will meet but must end at 12:30.
- Pima Medical Institute- Closed
- Regis University-Colorado Springs- Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled. Due to weather, the Colorado Springs campus will close at 3 p.m. There will be no evening classes or events.
- Univ. of Colorado, Colorado Springs- All classes and activities are canceled after 12:15 p.m. Classes that are still in progress at 12:15 p.m. may meet for the first part of the class period, but must end at 12:15 p.m. Campus will close at 1 p.m., and all afternoon and evening classes and activities are canceled.
- City of Colorado Springs- All government offices and Pioneers Museum closing at 2 p.m. today for non-essential staff. All emergency responders and essential personnel are required to report as usual. Sertich Ice Center and all City Community Centers have canceled Wednesday evening programs and are requesting early pickup for all children scheduled in after school programs. All youth and adult sports programs and games are also canceled Wednesday.
- Colorado Department of Public Safety offices- Closing at 2 p.m.
- El Paso County- Government offices, including the Pikes Peak Workforce Center, CSU Extension, El Paso County Public Trustee, the offices of the 4th Judicial District Attorney and El Paso County Combined Courts., close at 2 p.m.
- El Paso County Public Health- Closing at 2 p.m.
- El Paso County Sheriff’s Office Administration Building- Closing at 2 p.m.
- Manitou Springs- Government offices closing at 2 p.m.
- Mountain Metropolitan Transit- System-wide shutdown beginning at 6:15 p.m.
- UCHealth Colorado Springs- All clinics north of Woodmen Road and the clinic in Falcon will close at 2 p.m. All free-standing emergency rooms will remain open during storm
- The UCHealth Mary Lou Beshears Breast Care Clinic – Printers Park will close at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. The Mary Lou Beshears Breast Care Clinic – Briargate – will close at 2 p.m. Wednesday. The breast care clinics will open at 8 a.m. Thursday, April 11, instead of 7 a.m., at both locations.
- Falcon School-Based Health Center- Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled. Closing at 1:00pm.
- Sleep Lab testing on the campus of Memorial Hospital North is canceled Wednesday night.
- Fort Carson- Early release beginning at 12:25 p.m. All non-mission essential personnel will be released based on the distance they live from Fort Carson.
- Peterson Air Force Base and Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station- Early release immediately for zone 3. Zones 2 and 1 release at normal close of business today
- Schriever Air Force Base- The 50th Space Wing Commander has directed Schriever implement early release for non-mission essential personnel starting at 12 p.m. Weather safety conditions vary widely across the area, so individuals with specific commuting concerns should contact their leadership for a risk management assessment.
- US Air Force Academy- Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled
- Air Academy Federal Credit Union- Highlands Ranch, Parker, Castle Rock, Monument, and Air Force Academy branches are closed. All other branches and contact center closing at 3:30 pm
- Community Cupboard Food Pantry- Closed. Food Pantry will close at 11:00 today. Be Safe!
- Ent Credit Union- All offices closed. All Ent locations close at 3:30 p.m. today
- Focus on the Family- 1:00 p.m. Closed
- Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center- Closed. Closing early at 3pm
- Nursing and Therapy Services of Co.- the Colorado Springs office will close at 2:00 pm today
- Pikes Peak Library Dist.- Monument, Palmer Lake, and High Prairie Libraries will close at noon.
- Pikes Peak Workforce Center- Pikes Peak Young Adult job fair at the southeast armed services YMCA, will close today at 2 PM because of the weather.
- Meteorological Research and Education Organization- Closed. Half Day Status, all employees please report at start time, all staff will be released at 12noon. All Afternoon staff please use Home Protocols.
- Bethel Lutheran- Afternoon and evening activities canceled. Lenten Service for Wednesday evening is canceled
- Church For All Nations- Evening activities canceled
- Discovery Church Colorado- Evening activities canceled. No High School or groups meeting tonight.
- Every Home for Christ- Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled
- Falcon Baptist Church- Awana is canceled
- Fellowship of the Rockies- Colorado Springs- Evening activities canceled. at both 8th St and Fountain campuses
- First Baptist Church Black Forest- Early release, all aft/eve activities canceled
- First Presbyterian Church- Evening activities canceled. Choir Cancelled. Building closes at 5 p.m.
- First Southern Baptist Church- CS- Afternoon and evening activities canceled
- Friendship Assembly of God- Evening activities canceled
- Mountain Springs Church- Offices closing at 3 p.m. All evening activities canceled including elevate.
- New Life- Closing at 1pm, all evening activities are canceled
- Radiant Church- Evening activities canceled
- Redemption Hill Church- All evening activities canceled
- Rock Family Church- Evening activities canceled
- The Springs Church- Church offices closing at 2pm, all evening services canceled.
- Trinity Missionary Baptist Church- Evening activities canceled
- Vista Grande Baptist Church- Afternoon and evening activities canceled. Preschool early release
All roads are clear this morning, but conditions should start turning treacherous early this afternoon around 1 p.m. in northern El Paso County.